February 26, 2008

Books

I just finished reading two really good books. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk, Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair by Laurie Perry. (Check out Perry's blog here - it's hilarious and fun and she writes wonderfully about the craziness of Los Angeles too.) I never planned on reading these two "divorce" books at the same time, it just happened that way - go figure. I guess I'm just drawn to other people who have gone through the same things as I have. I think the common denominator is that divorce is crushing and you just don't think you'll recover or be whole again. I totally relate to that and reading about these women's journeys, their pain and what they did to get through is just some how comforting and you don't feel like you're such a freak in the world. It's always nice to know you are one of many freaks. What I found interesting is that they both "got out of Dodge" as soon as they could stop crying. I did the same. I went to Paris by myself with the only purpose to eat, paint and enjoy all things French. And I did. When I did this little sketch of the brasseri , I was sitting in another cafe window across the way. I great perch to draw, but mostly people watch. A man walked by me and I could see him through the window. He pinched his fingers to his lips and did a kiss thing and kept walking. I'm not sure what he meant, but it made my day. I loved Paris and would love to go back... maybe I will...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails